Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Rhum, beaches and scuba

I have just left South America. Sniff. But there is still one month left of the trip, so better make the most of it. After all, after two days in the gringolandia of Panama I'll be in Cuba.. Panama City surprised me with its similarity to some American cities that have big Latin influence. They even use the USD here, and the nice prices of Columbia seem to be a forgotten dream already -Still, a bic mac sells for 2,29 USD (1,80 euros) and the meal for 3,29 (2,58 euros) so I'll live.

The last days in Columbia were full of partying, chilling on the beach and diving. The first greater experience was the bus travel between Colombian cities in the guerrilla territory. The companies have big tables (below) that tell how many of their passengers have "had accidents", have been injured or died in the past couple of months. Just radiates with confidence that usually the number of dead was down to like 1 or 2 per month. Also, the travel itself is constantly interrupted with highway police carrying loaded M-16s and a standard 4 full clips in the weapon belt (which, by the way, says US in big letters) in addition to the one attached to the gun.. They also have little fortresses built on the road stops in case the bus is filled with your average housewife guerrillas that start WW3 when pulled over. One police even said they have bazookas hidden in their booths. We lived a brief moment of fear on the road, as we were asked to get down for the second full inspection in a 10 kilometer road -the women onboard refused to be inspected again so the policeman entered the bus with a new attitude and a finger on the trigger of his loaded rifle.. And suddenly had a much more receptive audience. But anyway, a 50 kilometer trip lasted for almost two hours!!

Imagen 001

Eventually I did get to Tayrona National park, and after a bumpy truck ride and some 40 minutes of jungle trail I found my way to what was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. Just look at the pics below, they don't even do justice to the place.. Tourists that made it there were all sleeping in hammocks or snorkeling in the clear waters nearby. I can highly recommend that place to anyone who likes beaches. All it takes is a little patience to get there.

Imagen 012

Imagen 014

Imagen 020

Imagen 033

From there I went on to a village called Taganga, which is good for two things: partying and scuba diving. Ok, there is a nice beach nearby too.. There I spent the last few days tasting local rhum, smoking local cigars and just being a stereotypical tourist. I'd say that though Cuba is more famous for the beforementioned products, Columbia can be proud of the quality of their own as well. And diving -anyone who has not tried it is missing a world of its own. I was sold after the first two minutes (which was about the time to get the hang of it), that was something I will definately do again -many times. I always guessed it as I tend to like water sports, but it still surpassed all my anticipations. Plus, in Taganga it is dirt cheap: for instance, an open-water certificate course goes for 160 USD -a price even Thailand has a hard time to beat. Some Taganga highlights:

Imagen 008

Imagen 010

Imagen 041

All in all, the country I liked best in all of South America was definately and without a doubt Colombia. Here's a couple ones for my Columbian friend Felipe (see, I got the sombrero volteado):

Imagen 025

Imagen 046

Best beer tasted: Club Colombia
Best national dish: Bandeja Paisa (beans, rice, sausage plus other meats in one plate)
Best experience/sight: Parque Nacional Tayrona's beaches

2 Comments:

At 6:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No morjens... taytyy myontaa, et kateeks kay kun noita maisemia ja meininkia katsoo!!
Aika epailyttava toi lahdin columbiasta "sniff"... ;p

-AKi-

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Kassu said...

Siis flunssanpoikanenhan se. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home